ORDER DATE..................................: October 10, 2017
JOB TITLE........................................: TRAIN CONDUCTOR
REQUISITION #...............................: 63225
NATIONAL OCCUPATION CODE.: 7362
NUMBER OF POSITIONS..............: 1
POSITION TYPE.............................: FULL-TIME, SHIFT WORK
A transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to eight major ports, including Vancouver and Montreal, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe is seeking a Train Conductor in Winnipeg.
Are you looking for an exciting career? Becoming a Train Conductor is the perfect career for you! As a Train Conductor you will start your rewarding long term career at the railway.
As a Train Conductor, you will work as a member of a train crew that will assist with switching cars, making or splitting up trains in yards, or moving cars between yards, sidings or tracks;
- Work in either train or yard service depending on their seniority;
- Carry out specific instructions detailing a train's route and specific movements;
- Handle the switching of cars, including coupling and uncoupling cars, and is able to lift out coupling device;
- Observe, interpret, and relay signals and other indications affecting movement of train;
- Signal crew members for movement of the engine or train using specific signals, or radio to indicate when to start, stop, back-up, set or release air brakes;
- Provide flag protection and relays signals to trains in an emergency situation, as stipulated in the operating rules;
- Move on and off moving or stationary equipment while train is performing industrial, station, or yard switching;
- Ride moving car by hanging onto grab irons or ladder, sometimes for extended periods of time;
- Fill out forms including train orders and switch lists and prepares required clear and legible reports;
- Work irregular hours, including holidays, weekends, days and nights and for periods of time up to 12 hours;
- Must be constantly alert to changing conditions and events and take safe and responsible action as required.
- High School Graduation or General Equivalency Diploma (GED);
- 3 to 5 years’ work experience with a demonstrated safe work record;
- Valid driver's license is preferred;
- Must be at least 18 years old;
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude;
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision;
- Able to take action and/or make decisions affecting security/well-being of others, i.e. alerting others to unsafe conditions;
- Must have good spatial ability with regard to a sense of layout and space, together with an ability to judge speed and/or distance of moving objects;
- Able to communicate effectively both oral and in written;
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to operate as a contributing member of a team;
- Must be prepared to work weekends and shifts - on call 24 hours/day with 2 Hours’ notice depending on location, (with exception of Annual Vacation);
- Work may require extended time away from home;
- Must be able to pass the required examinations, read and understand safety instructions, books of rules, instructions and regulations, timetables, bulletins, waybills, placards, and other written or printed material;
- Must be prepared to work in adverse weather conditions;
- May be required to lift up to 80 lbs.
- Must be able to cross the United States border for work purposes;
- Must be able to obtain a passport.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
- Education check
Medical Requirements: The railway is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is considered a safety critical position; all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical evaluation that includes a vision, hearing, drug screening and pre-employment physical.
Benefits: Flexible and competitive benefits package; Competitive company pension plan; Employee Share Purchase Plan; Annual Fitness Subsidy.
Please contact (CAHRD) Centre for Aboriginal Human Resource Development at 204-989-7110 for more details.
This job advertisement has been provided by an external employer/partner. (CAHRD) Centre for Aboriginal Human Resource Development is not responsible for the accuracy, authenticity or reliability of the content.