ORDER DATE..................................: December 6, 2017
JOB TITLE........................................: OUTREACH WORKER
NATIONAL OCCUPATION CODE.: 4212
NUMBER OF POSITIONS..............: 1
POSITION TYPE.............................: FULL-TIME, 37.5 HOURS/WEEK
A centre that has provided a wide range of services including shelter, recreation, education and support since 1993 is seeking a full time Outreach Worker. The programs and services of the centre have been developed according to traditional philosophy, providing urban Aboriginal youth culturally appropriate support and resources to break the cycle of violence, poverty, homelessness, isolation or dependency to which youth have fallen victim. To achieve their mission, the centre provides a wide variety of interconnected programming and supportive services for urban Aboriginal youth.
The Youth Resource Centre provides youth, 13-24 regardless of status, culture or gender, a safe alternative to the streets where they are at greater risk for negative outcomes. The centre supports a wide variety of programs and resources to counteract the cultural and social dislocation many young people experience.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Conduct daily foot-patrols in the community to build positive relationships with vulnerable youth emphasizing trust, respect and confidentiality
- Provide street based education, resource information, complete referrals and act as an advocate to ensure youth have access to resources
- Package and distribute safety kits to youth on the street
- Transport youth to a place of safety when appropriate
- Respond to crisis/emergent situations as required
- Participate in surveillance activities; documenting information on individuals, vehicles and location suspected of exploiting youth and other suspicious activities. Complete Suspect tracking forms as required.
- Facilitate the skill development of youth by identifying, recruiting and developing appropriate resources and supporting youth participation in development activities
- Develop and implement educational programming that supports youth, aimed at addressing youth issues/needs specifically to sexual exploitation and homelessness
*This is an evening/overnight position
- Post-secondary education in the youth care, social work field preferred
- Minimum 2 years of experience in the youth care field
- Demonstrated experience in working with urban Aboriginal youth, with particular emphasis on youth with chronic involvement with the child welfare system, at risk for or experiencing homelessness and at risk for and or experiencing exploitation
- Strong understanding and appreciation for Aboriginal culture
- Extensive knowledge of community resources and services available to youth
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both oral and written
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with youth, and community
- Strong organizational and time management skills to work effectively in an environment that requires the ability to meet deadlines and targets
- Maintain a high level of independence and self-initiative
- Ability to work under stressful conditions with an ability to respond effectively and positively in diverse situations
- Proficiency in computer use including word processing, spreadsheets and database management
- Valid Driver’s license required.
- Current Criminal Record Check, Child Abuse Registry and Prior Contact Checks required
Please contact (CAHRD) Centre for Aboriginal Human Resource Development at 204-989-7110 for more details.
This job advertisement has been provided by an external employer/partner. (CAHRD) Centre for Aboriginal Human Resource Development is not responsible for the accuracy, authenticity or reliability of the content.